ACCME Accreditation Program
The New Hampshire Medical Society (NHMS) has issued ACCME accreditation to CME providers in New Hampshire and Vermont since 1976. The major purposes of the NHMS accreditation system continue to be: establishing criteria for evaluation of educational programs and their activities, assessing whether accredited organizations meet and maintain standards, promoting organizational self-assessment and improvement and recognizing excellence.
The New Hampshire Medical Society’s Council on Education (CE) Mission is the identification, development and promotion of standards for quality continuing medical education (CME) used by physicians in their maintenance of competence and to incorporate new knowledge to improve quality medical care for patients and their communities.
The NHMS CE fulfills its mission through a voluntary, self-regulated system for accrediting CME providers and a peer-review process responsive to changes in medical education and the healthcare delivery system. The primary responsibilities of the NHMS CE are to:
- Set and administer standards and criteria for providers of quality CME for physicians and related professionals
- Certify that accredited providers are capable of meeting the requirements of the Essential Areas
- Relate CME to medical care and the continuum of medical education
- Evaluate the effectiveness of its policies
- Assist providers in continually improving their programs and thereby
- Assure physicians, the public and the CME community that CME programs meet the NHMS CE criteria for compliance with the Essential Areas
Our Council on Education is made up of volunteer members who also serve as site surveyors. Initial accreditation is typically approved for two years, and re-accreditation is for a four-year term. If you are interested in applying for accreditation as a CME provider, please download and review the application and Essential Areas and Elements (See the Accreditation Library). If you have questions about the accreditation process, costs involved or the status of our providers, please contact Joy Potter.